Tuesday, July 29, 2008

How I customized Dynamics SL (and made my life easier)

If you want my opinion, SQL Reporting Svcs (SRS) is the great salvation of Dynamics SL. With SRS, you can do almost anything.

Dynamics SL does a lot of great and wonderful things right out of the box. GL - works wonderfully. AP - pays vendors just like you want it to. AR - Ok, we wish it would go break the knees of those that owe us money (but 2 out of 3 ain't bad).

Also, Dynamics does a great job of warehousing data. If you've got information, Dynamics will be happy to put it you SQL Database and save it forever (or until your server crashes without back-ups). Dynamics does an ok job of retrieving data right out of the box; but with SRS, you can put your Dynamics installation on steroids!

I customized my version of Dynamics so that I could do project management better.

Here are some of the things that I did using SRS to make my life happier:

1.) A CPA-Style WIP schedule that shows jobs vertically instead of horizontally. I always hated those CPA versions that were 2 pages wide. Now, I can look at a single column on a page and see everything I need to know about a job.

2.) A way cool Job Cost Overview that shows the billing information, the job-to-date hours, the original budgeted costs, the revised budgeted costs and the actual costs. It also shows the posted transactions as well as the unposted transactions. Another cool feature is that it shows the Under/Over Billings per phase and for the entire job.

I can look at the job to date, or choose a date range for this information. I live by this report.

3.) Several different project timecard reports. I got tired of trying to manually calculating daily overtime and weekly overtime (our Unions require OT after 8 hours per day). So I created reports that show me where I need to make adjustments in payroll so that my overtime is correct. I also use this report as an attendance report, because it can show which employees don't have time on projects.

4.) B'zillion budget variance reports. I can compare labor, materials, subs, equipment, or any other cost account to budget.

5.) Daily revenue earned report. This baby shows me how much revenue I earned that day, then subtracts the costs associated with it, and then subtracts my overhead to show whether we made or lost money that day.

As you can see, if you're creative, SQL reporting services can change the way you manage your company.

John Wheeler

No comments: