Monday, July 28, 2008

SRS & Microsoft Dynamics

If you're like me, you hated most of the reports that came with MS Dynamics. Either, they don't give you the information that you want, they're just plain ugly, or they're cumbersome. I still hate flexible columns, and really haven't ever got them set up to my satisfaction.

So how did I fix the proplem? SQL Reporting Services (SRS) is the solution. I've created almost every report I need in SRS and when I want to run them, I just use the report manager. Now I get good looking reports that show information in a way that makes sense to me. No more of this putting up with whatever Microsoft decided to ship with the product.

One of the other advantages to SRS is that you can subscribe to reports and have them automatically delivered to your Inbox in the morning. So if you want your A/R person to look at the A/R Aging once per week, just create the report and schedule it to be delived weekly. Then forget it about it and go to the Caribbean (at least that's the theory).

So SRS is a big part of how I customized my version of Dynamics to meet my needs. Now I've got functionality that Microsoft didn't even dream of out of the box.

If you want to know how I customized Dynamics, feel free to e-mail me.

John

No comments: